Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Checking my transmitted radio frequency spectrum

Using an ICOM IC-7610 into an amplifier which is connected to an 800W homebuilt dry dummy-load for testing. Now I could drag one of the Spectrum Analysers up to the shack or bring all the AR-equipment downstairs (fat chance). So I decided to use my trusty old SDR-IQ. As this is not an accuracy test/measurement rather a quick check to see how the signal looks before it goes out into the ether. Using an SDR and a PC makes it easier to snap pictures of the result for later comparison.

Here is a quick view of the setup:


TRX : IC-7610
AMP : SPE
LOAD: 50Ω 800W with 40dB Tap
ATT : 20dB
RX  : SDR-IQ
PC  : Laptop with Spectraview 3.39 connected to RX via USB2

The below picture shows me what my transmitted signal looks like. Instead of using my Elecraft two-tone generator I was using my voice and by creating a rather harmonic rich sound (don't ask, the wife came running in and thought I needed attention) the below spectrum showed up on the "Spectrum Analyser".


And here is my Voice caller, calling CQ ....


And here is a spectrum display using a TX bandwidth of 2800 Hz, 100-2900.



Even running a wide audio setup the spectrum of the signal is well contained.

Here you can see how my ICOM IC-7300 fared when checking the output signal.

Here is a device you could use to monitor your transmission with a cheap SDR receiver, a CRO or a Spectrum Analyser.

And below is a spectrum plot of my signal on 20m:


No comments:

Post a Comment