Saturday, January 22, 2022

Do the old analog radios have better receivers than the new breed of SD-Radios?

I've had an interesting conversation this morning on 10m SSB. The conversation started about my audio being a bit "sharp" which, I guess, it might be at a 2.3kHz transmit bandwidth (200-2500) from my ICOM IC-7610. I've been explaining that I like to use less bandwidth to share our frequency spectrum more equally and avoid splattering across the spectrum. At which stage my QSO partner mentioned that he found me because I was splattering across the band whilst he was using his Kenwood TS-440. 

During the conversion he mentioned that he also had an IC-7610 and that he would like to get an audio report from me. So the TRX got switched and we progressed the QSO. To his amazement he found that I did not splatter on the ICOM. Yet he was adamant that the Kenwood would/should be the better receiver.

I was quite confused about this. Why would he think that? What would be the reason to buy one of the most modern radios, but believing that the old, and let's face it the TS-440 only have a good reputation amongst the CB fraternity, would outperform one of the more modern radios on this planet. 

Now, I have used quite a few Amateur radios in the past, the likes of an Elecraft K3 with added 2.8, 2.1 and 1.8kHz roofing filters, an ICOM IC-765 with Inrad roofing filter mod, Yaesu FT-5000MP with 2.7kHz roofing filter, even some of the newer, direct sampling SDRs like the ICOM IC-7300 and the ANAN 100D. Additionally I've owned and operated a DRAKE TR7, a Kenwood TS-520, a couple of YAESUs, the FT-101, FT-901/2, FT-757GX, FT-2000, FT-5000dx and an FT-817, also some ICOMs the likes of an IC-706, IC-730, IC-735, IC-7000, IC-7400. They all got purchased according to a few criteria but the main criteria was $$$ and then RX performance. These days a few more aspects have come to dictate the purchase of a new toy, but that is for another story.

Please note, that I'm not talking about LAB tests, even though I have done and still do receiver and transmitter test to get to know what the radio is capable of in my environment. I'm talking about the day to day use of these radios at an average QTH with average antenna systems. Most of these radios are far better than a Kenwood TS-440, which I might add I had the privilege of using during a contest and a field-days (what a debacle that was), only the FT-757GX I'd say was worst in the TX and RX department than the TS-440 and maybe the IC-706 in the TX department but this was bought purley as a mobile rig. 

Anyway, based on my experience, I have to say that my answer to the question would be a resounding "definitely not in this case".

73 

UPDATE 12/2023: The operator is now using his IC-7610 and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Oh and he change his callsign from VKx1234 to VKx123 and no, no Licence upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment