Friday, July 12, 2024

Adjusting the S-Meter in Thetis

After about five (5) years I resurrected my ANAN 100D again. Trying a few versions, including a development version, I settled on Thetis v2.10.3.5 x64 u2. Seems to be running fine on my Windows 11 system. Quite a few improvements over the last five years. Going through the Setup/Configuration of the system I stumbled over a Level Cal inside the [Calibration] tab which can be found under the [General] tab. This allows one the ability to "automagically" set the S-Meter to a user provided level, .... sweet ....

I've decided to use my trusty old Elecraft XG3 RF Signal Source which I have checked against a calibrated RF Powermeter. At 20m the output at the -33dBm level measured -34.8dBm @ 13.8V. So using an attenuator with 38dB attenuation  will give me a -72.8dBm level into the ANAN. A short RG58 cable into a MFJ-1700B switch and another 50cm of RG58 should compensate for the missing 0.2dB to make it -73dBm.

Setup:
  • Signal generator: XG3
  • Level: -34.8dBm @ 13.8V
  • Att: HP-355C & HP-355D (38dB)




And this is how it look in real live.



Here is the Thetis setup:



After pressing the Level Cal [Start] button, the system goes and runs an internal calibration routine. A window pops up to inform us about the progress status of the calibration.

Well, the result is quite pleasing. 



And if we add 6dB attenuation we get:


And not to forget if we do subtract 6dB attenuation the result is:



Struth, 6dB steps who would have thought that is a possibility. 
Oh and this is at every SSB Bandwidth we choose. My default is 2K1, however if I choose 2K9 the S-Meter still shows -73dBm. Yikes, it is possible! It is software defined after all.

It would be nice if my IC-7610 would not change the S-Meter reading with the engagement of the Pre-Amp(s).



References:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment